Quick Fix: Enable DKIM for Office 365

DKIMIf you have been following some of my recent posts you’ll know i have been talking about Office 365 and Exchange Online and how you can tweak the settings to better secure your mail.

One of the steps for that is to setup DKIM. For Office 365 this requires two CNAME records to be published in your public DNS.

The problem i was having when setting up a new client, was knowing what the CNAME should be set to.

Read more of this post

Quick Fix: 2008 R2 api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll is missing, not enough storage to process this command.

picard-facepalmI have just been through a particularly bad support incident, which I wanted to share in great detail. However confidentially precludes me from doing so.

Anyway it turns out it was caused by a failed Windows Update, not a hardware failure as we first suspected.

Plenty of lessons learned here on how not to handle a ticket, but the takeaway is, if you are facing the errors in the title, try this and reboot:

sfc /scannow

You may be unable to launch anything, except a command prompt so it may be you need to go into safe mode which you can set via BCDedit:

bcdedit /set {current} safeboot network

I wish I had thought to check for failed Windows Updates before I started a restore job.. but you live and learn.

Quick Fix : WSUS Client Targeting not working

Just a quick post, I had recently rebuilt a WSUS Server at a client site and, as is normal procedure for me, totally changed how this was setup compared to the previous one.

In the previous server we had groups for each OS, which was fine when we had a mixture of them, but now all clients are on the same OS and having all 200+ machines in a single group made little sense to me.

So I decided to split them up based on machine age (using a WMI filter I could select the different model of PC) So, each model (or group of models) got their own GPO and their own WSUS Group which was great, except client side targeting was not working.

Read more of this post

Quick Fix: Office 365 DirSync Hide a user from Global Address List

This week i have been working on some process automation, around a user leaving an organisation using Office 365.

DirSync (and it’s newer iterations) has been a very useful for Password Sync and User creation, however it can be a bit of a drag when it comes to editing mailbox settings. In this case, Hiding a user from the Global Address List.

Set-Mailbox Error On Prem

So to hide the Mailbox from our Office 365 Address List we need to use ADSIEdit and change the msExchHideFromAddressLists attribute to True, then wait for DirSync to do it’s thing. Read more of this post

Quick Fix: Office 2016 Downgrade to Office 2013 (Office 365)

LogoI have a client who still runs Exchange 2007. They are quite a large firm and have well over 150 seats. For reasons i wont go into they purchase their Office software via the OEM channel along with any new PC or Device.

They recently went out and acquired a Surface Pro 3, but didn’t order Office. At the same time they also acquired a MacBook Pro which also needed a copy of Office. We decided this was a good time to get them started on moving to Office 365 and signed up for two licenses.

Read more of this post

Windows 10 on WSUS Shows as Windows Vista

Update: 15/10/2015
Please see below comment from Michael regarding Hotfix 3095113 which resolves this issue.
I noticed a thread on a forum regarding Windows 10 reporting to WSUS as Windows Vista. This was a problem if you recall for Windows 8 and Server 2012 simply reporting as Windows 6.3 or similar.

Since WSUS received no updates that i was aware of to fix that issue at the time, i found a SQL Command here that updated the WSUS DB to reflect the correct OS name.

Revisiting that now, It was easy enough to modify this to have WSUS report a Windows 10 machine, as Windows 10!

Granted, at this point it only appears that this is a useful workaround – not a permanent fix! (updated 05/08/2015)

Read more of this post

Quick Fix: Stop Surface Devices Applying GPO

WMI Query SignA question in the SBS Forum led me to this post, a quick way to prevent a Surface Pro 3 from applying a given GPO.

The way i suggested the poster do this was with a WMI Filter. Read more of this post

%d bloggers like this: