Quick Fix : WSUS Client Targeting not working
July 12, 2016 Leave a comment
Just a quick post, I had recently rebuilt a WSUS Server at a client site and, as is normal procedure for me, totally changed how this was setup compared to the previous one.
In the previous server we had groups for each OS, which was fine when we had a mixture of them, but now all clients are on the same OS and having all 200+ machines in a single group made little sense to me.
So I decided to split them up based on machine age (using a WMI filter I could select the different model of PC) So, each model (or group of models) got their own GPO and their own WSUS Group which was great, except client side targeting was not working.
As is common all machines simply ended up in Unassigned Computers.
I confirmed the WMI was working, and the GPO was being correctly filtered.
Checking the WindowsUpdate.log file on a client showed me what was happening.
Which reminded me on the old server I had setup groups by OS name.
But I was curious why this setting was not being over written by the GPO. So, I set the GPO to enforced, and ran a GPUpdate /Force (yes the client had been rebooted and a day or two had passed)
Soon after all the clients appeared in the correct groups.