Windows Server Essentials 2016 – Install Stuck at 17% or 39%

2016This week I had a Skype conversation with a fellow MVP and friend from Brazil, Daniel Santos. He reported an issue he was having installing the Essentials 2016 TP4 OS which was stalling at 17% during the Essentials configuration Wizard.

He also reported that the environment had not changed and that previous TPs had installed correctly.

I volunteered to login to his server and check it out.

His Lab was running on a Windows 10 workstation with Hyper-V.

He was also using a Portuguese language edition of the TP but reported the same issue with the English one, I got him to start over with the English one so I could read it!!

Sure enough at 17% the install, stalled. At this point we had the following logs created in c:\programData\Microsoft\Windows Server\Logs

• SetupCMDLets
  • ProviderRegistryService
  • SharedServiceHost-ManagementServiceConfig
  • SharedServiceHost-NotificationServiceConfig

At 17% the SharedServiceHost-ManagementServiceConfig log shows us that IIS has been installed, and that the AD Binaries are being installed.

2016-03-07_17-02-14

What should happen is a reboot should occur, the wizard should push on to 25%, then by 39% DCPromo has completed and the CA is installed.

Daniels server was stuck at 17% even after a manual reboot.

We did a manual DCPromo on the server and installed AD, but again the Essentials wizard was stuck on 17%.

I noticed that the Essentials registry Setup Key had a value for ‘RebootExpected’. and that it was ‘True’. This fit in with what i was expecting in that the server was not registering the fact that it had been rebooted. I decided to change this to False.

HKLM>Software>Microsoft>Windows Server>Setup

2016-03-07_17-08-33

As soon as i did that, the Wizard failed, and i was presented with the choice to hit ‘retry’.

After doing that the wizard went through and completed successfully.

We have not had a comment back from Microsoft so far, will update the post when we do!

Daniel has since installed a 2012 R2 Hyper-V Server, and an Essentials 2016 Guest and confirms that has installed correctly. I have installed it on a Bare Metal HP Microserver N40L also without any issue.

Following on with our own research, Daniel and i reproduced the Installation Stall a few more times and Daniel found that starting the Windows Server Essentials Management Service was enough to kick-start the install, without resorting to editing the registry.

EssentStoped17

The real question to answer now, is what is causing it to stall, but for now at least, we have a workaround!

About Robert Pearman
Robert Pearman is a UK based Small Business Server enthusiast. He has been working within the SMB IT Industry for what feels like forever. Robert likes Piña colada and taking walks in the rain, on occasion he also enjoys writing about Small Business Technology like Windows Server Essentials or more recently writing PowerShell Scripts. If you're in trouble, and you can find him, maybe you can ask him a question.

25 Responses to Windows Server Essentials 2016 – Install Stuck at 1725 or 3925

1. Chris White says:

I can confirm this issue on a Windows 10 build 1511 x64 Hyper-V host. I manually started the Windows Server Essentials Management Service and it continued past 17% to 39% where it rebooted and I had to manually start it again. It seems it is not starting after each reboot. Thank you for finding this fix as it was what I needed to continue testing this release.

• techbakerliborg says:

Here is what we found. By restating the windows update service and the BITS service it forced a restart and continued

2. Mark says:

Just a related query Robert, couldn’t find your email address, but have you tried to integrate Exchange 2016 with Windows Server Essentials R2 as per

I just built a Essentials R2 DC and and Exchange Server 2016 on Windows Server 2012 R2 (on VMs of course) but the dashboard integration in Essentials cant see the Exchange 2016 Server. Not sure if Microsoft intended or is aware of it but it kind of kicks using Exchange 2016 in the butt for now for those joining to an Essentials Domain.

Ta

3. Brad Burnett says:

I am also stuck at 17%, persisted after a manual reboot, your reg update worked (saw that b4 I saw the service option). Thank you!

4. david h says:

i have started the service as above and i also noticed that dns was set to 127.0.0.1 so i added google dns server 8.8.8.8 and rebooted the server and run essentials role again and it completed without any issues

5. Brilliant! Thank you so much for your help on that one, it was driving me nuts.

6. Jack says:

With Server Standard 2016 RTM I seem to be stuck on 16%….can’t uninstall or reinstall essentials experience. Having to reinstall the entire OS…

7. Erik Renaud says:

i am installling server 2016 essentials rtm right now at got stuck again at 17% (just like i did with tp5). starting the wsemanagement service did the trick to unblock it… will see if it completes and if it starts normally after it is all done…

8. dochammoc says:

Same here stuck on 17%. I was installing on bare metal on a Foxconn P41 motherboard and Celeron E1600 cpu. Starting service did move the install along. Thanks!

9. Andrew Jensen says:

Bro! You are a lifesaver, thank you so much for this article. Microsoft obviously has some debugging to do on their installer.

10. Marty Felker says:

Just (re)started the Management Service and the install continued past 17% immediately. This is a Hyper-V installation on Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14986. Thank you!

11. Sam says:

Like most of us, I encountered this issue while installing Windows 2016 Essentials (MSDN) on a physical machine. It seems Microsoft still hasn’t addressed this issue. Thanks for the quick solution.

12. Chris French says:

Stuck on 39% – After restating the machine and looking through the logs, found the issue was the WSEMgTService needed restarting.

13. ABasson says:

Thank you! I also experienced a problem where it got stuck on 17%. Started the service (lile you mentioned) and there it continued. Thanks once again.

14. Syed Shah Akramullah says:

Yes it worked with starting the WseMgmtSvc.

15. Steve says:

Thanks for the solution!!! I had the same issue as everyone else. Server 2016 Essentials- initial setup stalled @ 17%. Started service described above- immediately continued past 17%!!!! Thanks again !!!!

16. Gavin says:

39% – WseMgmtSvc was stopped. Restarted

17. Drumhead says:

Thanks a lot for this workaround

18. Big Rog says:

I had the same problem, it worked during the install, but every time an update needs to reboot it hangs and will not install them. Is this do to the reg change

“Setup Key had a value for ‘RebootExpected’. and that it was ‘True’. This fit in with what i was expecting in that the server was not registering the fact that it had been rebooted. I decided to change this to False.”

19. David Gordon says:

Thanks for this – I had exactly the same issue.

20. Can not get pass 16%. Have tried the work around in regedit (that was already set to false). Then the one (Windows Server Essentials Management Service) it was already running. Set my dns to 8.8.8.8 and that did not work. Stuck, any thoughts?